Search This Blog

Friday, March 18, 2011

A day of sun and disappointment

Today started out with my son being as defiant as he possibly could and nothing was going right. So I couldn't think of anything better to do than to go to the gym.
Yes, I said it, I have heard that exercise can lift your mood when you feel down and reduce stress, and guess what, it does, sort of.
I got there and started on the treadmill did ten minutes of intervals getting up to 3.5mph twice and stayed there for a minute, any faster and I would be jogging. I was pretty proud of myself, got off and started on the circuit and added 2 reps to each set at each machine. I am really cooking now. I have never gone this hard before without my trainer. I am going to tackle the elliptical, dun dun dun, this machine is my nemisis. I have never gone more than 5 min on that thing by myself, I was on fire today I'm going for it, even though this machine rattles my confidence, causes my muscles to burn and gets me completely winded. I get up I start and do to min rather slow, speed up to moderate with intent to go for 3 min then one minute hard, come back down to moderate for two and up again finally cooling down to finish ten min. I can do this, I just did it yesterday. I get to the moderate speed the first time and I am going I made it two min and I was feeling the burn, and I just quit, I gave up. I wasn't overly tired, I just felt like I couldn't go on. I said ok, I will finish this cardio interval on the treadmill, then... After two min I quit. What is wrong with me? I started my second set on the circuit machines, and finished that. Then my final cardio I hopped on the treadmill, two min passed and, I quit. By this time I was sweaty and felt exhausted, so I wasn't really upset I did in fact get a decent workout in. By the time I got home I was disappointed in myself, I can do it when Michelle is there, she doesn't get all screamy in my face, quit the opposite actually she is very encouraging and supportive, but why is it that I can do it for her and not me. I mean seriously, I pay her, and not saying she doesn't care on her own, but I pay her to, and I can't do it for myself.
This scares me because my 5 weeks is coming to an end and I am not sure if I can afford to do another session right away. I can do a membership but this was a test of how I would do on my own and I failed. I do want this, I want to be healthy I want to loose the weight. I want to have a baby, healthy pregnancy and delivery and especially healthy baby. This all relies on what I do now.
On the up side, it was a gorgeous day, after dinner my husband drove the kids to the park. It is only a block away but he wanted to make sure both kids got there and back safely. I decided to walk down and join them, afterwards I walked back home. In the past this walk back killed me, not because of the distance but there is a rather steep hill to climb going towards my house. I usually get horrible pain in my legs and knees and struggle to breath, but not today; it took me a literal min and a half to walk that block including waiting on cars so I could cross. I love that I can see those differences.

2 comments:

  1. You will get to that point, yo. Do not short change yourself...you can do this by yourself...if I can you can, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. seeing the differences is soooo motivating. I have 2 programs in the gym, one I do with support and 1 I do on my own. Recognising your limitations and factoring in success might help. Why not push yourself harder with a support and go for a steady hard work achievable session on your own. Making a target and being able to stick to it is so encouraging but only if that target is achievable. You sound to be making brilliant progress, I'd love to follow your successes
    xXx
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete